Food post (and commentary): Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

So, I know this isn’t typically a food blog (although, I think I did post about some food at one point or another), but I thought I’d share tonight’s meal. That, and the wife said I need to write more now that basketball coaching is in the off-season (never over). Oh, and with my over-use of parenthesis, try not to miss the actual meal!

*Quick side note: typically I would pick Faith up from daycare when basketball wasn’t in season, but Nicole made me a deal a few weeks ago. If I promised to run a little more, and have dinner ready when they get home, she would pick up Faith after work. Other than losing the extra hour of seeing Faith (and our Jeopardy time together), I think this is a decent deal. That doesn’t make me a bad dad, right? And along w/ Dave K. and Lizzy B., I think we’ve unofficially started a teacher’s running club after school. Check. And now, on to tonight’s food.

As we relaxed on the couch during Faith’s nap today, the only known for supper was some thawing chicken in the refrigerator. When pressed (not as bad as it sounds) I finally came up with trying to make some chicken cordon bleu (also, not as bad as it sounds). This was, of course, after Nicole had mentioned trying cheesy chicken spaghetti. Well… I bet you can figure out who won. And, after I saw a photo of it, I was glad to give it a shot. On to the recipe.

1 package boneless-skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
16 oz. package spaghetti noodles (cooked and drained, I used “thin”)
½ small yellow onion (chopped)
½ green pepper (chopped)
10.5 oz. can Cream of … Soup (I used mushroom)
1 ¼ cup chicken broth
Roughly 2 cups shredded cheese (be creative)
Generous amount of red wine (probably only need about ¼ cup for cooking)
4 oz. can of sliced mushrooms (I recommend, although I didn’t use this time)

The following instructions detail how I made the meal, but I’m sure there are better, more efficient ways:

Cook cubed chicken, onion, and pepper with wine in frying pan while noodles boil for 8 minutes (obviously, make sure chicken is fully cooked). Pre-heat oven to 350*. Drain noodles. Drain liquid from frying pan, trying to keep as much onion and pepper as possible (don’t worry, the chicken soaks up some of the wine. And by now, you have too). Return noodles to pot and mix all other ingredients (save ½ shredded cheese to top) thoroughly. Then, pour into a 9x13 baking pan that has been sprayed with PAM or other cooking spray. Add the ½ cup of cheese to top and bake for 30 minutes. While baking, finish off the wine (just a suggestion).


Let stand for 4 minutes and 38 seconds to cool so Faith’s mouth doesn’t burn, and enjoy.
I didn't get any photos of Faith scarfing this down, but she had three helpings. She happily proclaimed, "I want mo," many times.  I had two servings, and I'm sure Nicole had more than one as well. 


If you try it, comment, and let us know how it was!


~Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment