To Moms Everywhere

I've wanted to write this post for awhile now and mother's day seems like just the right time.

Anyone else overwhelmed lately? Oh, oh, me, overhere. Got my hand raised up real high like a kindergartner. Between a busy work schedule, my mini-research paper deadline, Dam to Dam training and a 10-month-old homewrecker (I mean that in the nicest way possible) I sometimes feel like I'm treading water, and just like in lifeguard training when we forced to tread with a 10-pound brick, I slip under every once in a while.

The good news is I still have a job, my paper was turned in on time (albeit 1 minute before it was due) God decided I needed a break from running so he set a softball on course to collide with the top of my foot and Faith, well, she's survived. Bonus point me.

Here's the thing about moms: they don't like to admit when the water starts to rise up, that they have these things called weaknesses or dare I say it, need help. Sure, I would love to be able to do it all, with a smile, while removing a dozen chocolate chip cookies from the oven wearing a "World's Most Together Mom" apron but the truth is, I can't. I'm human (shocker) and I just want everyone to know. MOMS ARE HUMAN. Even yours. Even mine.

Sure, we can eat lukewarm food, wipe boogers with our bare hands, manage on 6 hours of interrupted sleep and remember the last time our child pooped down to the minute, but even we aren't immune to impatience, to exhaustion and even to feeling sorry for ourselves every once in a while (for me it was today when Faith threw up for the fourth time in 12 hours. On Mother's Day? Really? I thought).

So for all those times my mom ate leftover, cold remnants of my meal, for all those times she went without a shower or makeup so she would have time to make me look cute, for all those times she wished she could take on an illness instead of me, thank you.

Thank you for all those things and for all the things I don't even know about. Thank you for being a mom.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment