That's a (Nursing) Wrap


I'm officially done.

Nearly eight year later, including approximately 30 months/2.5 years total, my breastfeeding journey has come to an end.

And oh what a journey it's been. From my mother massaging my breasts with cabbage leaves to help with engorgement when Faith was 4 days old to my last uneventful nursing session during which Calvin drifted back to sleep at 11 months old, I've experienced it all.

There were blebs (don't Google it), bites and blisters. Cracking and bleeding (sorry, were you eating?) Clogged ducts and very active tear ducts. Lactation cookies. Fenugreek. Water. Gatorade. Dark beer. And some nasty AF Mother's Milk Tea.

I've pumped exclusively. I've nursed exclusively. I've supplemented. I've mixed formula and breastmilk together.

I've fed my babies in parks, restaurants, churches, cars, vans, and even in a concession stand (just outside the beer cooler mind you - brrr).

I've pumped at work and at school, from Mexico to Memphis to Miami, and inside an airplane lavatory while the flight attendant knocked on the door alerting me it was time for takeoff.

As I look back at the past eight years -most of it hazy from raising young children - I don't have one single regret. I don't feel guilty for stopping when I stopped. I don't feel jipped for all my lost sleep. I just feel proud.

Was it hard sometimes? Oh hell yes. (Please see above.) But I don't say that to discourage anyone. When I took "the classes" they only talked about how things could go right. The truth is, many things can and do go wrong. However, with the support of my family, friends and online communities I was able to keep going. And that doesn't make me special. It just makes me stubborn, probably one of the most common traits in breastfeeding mothers!

Sure there are scientific benefits. And savings benefits. But the number one reason I would encourage someone to breastfeed is because of the bond. There's just something so powerful about being able to comfort and nourish your baby only using what God gave you.

Faith, my pumping and bottle fed babe.
Gabby's first time nursing successfully, and my first (of MANY times) seeking help.

Calvin doing his thing and me feeling confident enough to have it photographed.
As this chapter of my life comes to a close, I just want to thank everyone who supported me in it. 

Cari, Ericka, Summer - you are gifts from God. Your friendship, sage advice, horror stories, and the words your pump is saying to you on any given day, kept me going.

Mom - I can't believe you bought cabbage, chopped it up, and rubbed it all over my chest in the name of love. You are unrivaled. 

Rob -you are the reason I was able to do this as long as I did. Thank you for being my rock.

(Sentimental moment over.)

And now for some new bras! Followed by a large consumption of chocolate, alcohol, and the spiciest foods I can handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment