Little Pink Houses

Ever since Faith was old enough to know her colors, pink has been the favorite. Hence her room:


(Okay, let's get real.)


Anyway, I'm delaying getting to the point of the story (which I like to call a lead-in, but Rob likes to call "annoying").

Every day on the way to daycare, I drive by a pink house. Every day, I point out the pink house to Faith. Every day, my three-year-old daughter delights in seeing a real, pink house. Seriously, every day. Her enthusiasm for a house that's simply painted a unique color makes my day. If I forget to remind her to look out the window, we're both sad. This is something she looks forward to and the joy it brings her is both sweet and fleeting, which is why I felt the need to blog about it now, before she's over it and it's just another house we pass on the street.  It's the little things, ya know.



I decided awhile ago (before Gabby was born, actually) that I wanted to send a thank you to the owner of the pink house. It can't be easy keeping your house pink. I mean, the neighbors probably don't love it and then there's the stigma - who owns a pink house? The fact that the shade of siding has brought happiness to our family for two-plus years is something the owner should know. So I decided to write a thank you note. Of course it was a pink one.



I finally got the nerve to drop it off today. After I told Faith we'd do it earlier this week, I chickened out. Because her darn memory capacity is expanding she called me on it. I didn't want a preschooler holding it over my head for the rest of my life, so on the way to daycare this morning I pulled into the pink house's driveway and dropped it in the mailbox up against the house. (I then proceeded to run like hell to avoid a potentially awkward conversation, but that's neither here nor there.) 

Maybe whoever reads it will think I'm crazy. (I am.) Maybe they'll find the card weird. (It kind of is.) Or maybe, just maybe, it will bring a smile to someone's face, just like the pink house has done for Faith and her mom.


*And because you can't read a story like this without a little JCM getting stuck in your head....
Oh but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America home of the free (
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah)
Little pink houses for you and me



No comments:

Post a Comment